A Few Developments
Well, it was a big day on the legal front, and on other fronts as well. (Not the least of which was the work front--where by "big" day, I mean "shitty" day. And tomorrow promises to be a "hair-on-fire" day. Everyone in the corporate world knows what a hair-on-fire day is. And if you don't know, you can probably figure it out. And if you're not in the corporate world, I envy you too much to try to explain.)
Anyway, first things first. I met with the New Attorney today. And how did that go? Well, the whole time he was talking, I had those Who lyrics going through my head: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." So far, I've spoken to three attorneys, and I have yet to have one tell me something I didn't already know or enlighten me in any way. I've done a lot of research on my own, and it's . . . disheartening to say the least, to sit in a room for an hour and listen to someone who makes $150 an hour and who you are convinced after five minutes doesn't know as much as you do about the legal aspects of your case.
Of course, I suppose brilliant insight might emerge from these people once one has paid them a hefty retainer . . . but I doubt it. It's instinct mainly--I just haven't gotten a good vibe from any of these guys.
It doesn't really matter anyway. Today when I got home, there was a letter from my current "attorney" (whom I don't consider to be a real attorney, since he's given me NO actual legal advice thus far--I prefer to think of him as my "correspondence conduit"). Apparently, S. has agreed to the tax thing, to filing in whatever way would be of most benefit to both of us.
Doesn't that figure?
Of course, as we know, I filed already. But no need to panic. I spoke with the IRS, and I can file an amended return, if that's how things work out. I've already drafted a letter to S.'s attorney outlining what I did and why I did it, and agreeing to allow S. to figure the taxes differently, and agreeing to file an amended return if necessary. What do I have to lose? If I review the forms that S. prepares (and have my "attorney" review them), I can then decide whether or not it would be in my best interest to file an amended return, and then act accordingly.
And the best part--if this works out, we can file our dissolution forms very soon, and I can be officially free in 30 to 90 days after that! And then I can go back to devoting all my time and energy into hair-on-fire situations at work.
Oh, the joy.
By the way, I'm fairly certain S. called me today and hung up. My cell phone rang shortly after I got home from work, I answered and said hello, and there was a distinct pause and then a click as someone hung up. I tried to call the number back, but I got an after-hours voice-mail message from what I'm pretty sure was his company. I won't know for certain until I check the number tomorrow at work. (I don't have his work number here--did the old "delete all reminders from the cell phone" thing--but I do have it somewhere at work.)
If he did call me and hang up . . . WTF? Are we in junior high?
Oh no, actually we're in divorce proceedings . . . which for some people seems to mean the same thing.
Anyway, first things first. I met with the New Attorney today. And how did that go? Well, the whole time he was talking, I had those Who lyrics going through my head: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." So far, I've spoken to three attorneys, and I have yet to have one tell me something I didn't already know or enlighten me in any way. I've done a lot of research on my own, and it's . . . disheartening to say the least, to sit in a room for an hour and listen to someone who makes $150 an hour and who you are convinced after five minutes doesn't know as much as you do about the legal aspects of your case.
Of course, I suppose brilliant insight might emerge from these people once one has paid them a hefty retainer . . . but I doubt it. It's instinct mainly--I just haven't gotten a good vibe from any of these guys.
It doesn't really matter anyway. Today when I got home, there was a letter from my current "attorney" (whom I don't consider to be a real attorney, since he's given me NO actual legal advice thus far--I prefer to think of him as my "correspondence conduit"). Apparently, S. has agreed to the tax thing, to filing in whatever way would be of most benefit to both of us.
Doesn't that figure?
Of course, as we know, I filed already. But no need to panic. I spoke with the IRS, and I can file an amended return, if that's how things work out. I've already drafted a letter to S.'s attorney outlining what I did and why I did it, and agreeing to allow S. to figure the taxes differently, and agreeing to file an amended return if necessary. What do I have to lose? If I review the forms that S. prepares (and have my "attorney" review them), I can then decide whether or not it would be in my best interest to file an amended return, and then act accordingly.
And the best part--if this works out, we can file our dissolution forms very soon, and I can be officially free in 30 to 90 days after that! And then I can go back to devoting all my time and energy into hair-on-fire situations at work.
Oh, the joy.
By the way, I'm fairly certain S. called me today and hung up. My cell phone rang shortly after I got home from work, I answered and said hello, and there was a distinct pause and then a click as someone hung up. I tried to call the number back, but I got an after-hours voice-mail message from what I'm pretty sure was his company. I won't know for certain until I check the number tomorrow at work. (I don't have his work number here--did the old "delete all reminders from the cell phone" thing--but I do have it somewhere at work.)
If he did call me and hang up . . . WTF? Are we in junior high?
Oh no, actually we're in divorce proceedings . . . which for some people seems to mean the same thing.


4 Comments:
Sorry about the divorce lawyer incompetence. And also for the tax headaches . . . and for the constant insanity at work.
Hell, I'm sorry that it's not 70 degrees outside too.
You need something nice to happen to you! (Hmmm.)
Hey Flip,
I found it. Perusing my sitemeter results, I noticed an interesting site, and lo and behold, here you are. Looks like I've got some catching up to do. Now where's my fire extinguisher?
Yeah...I feel your pain regarding divorce attorneys. But at least the tax thing worked out alright.
as i told u, divorce lawyers are all scum. and the ones ur talking to aren't likely to be interested in ur case since there aren't any giant assets for them to suck the value out of.
when life seems this annoying, i recommend alcohol. large quantities. any type will do.
btw, i plan to crank call u several times this week. just for fun.
if you want, i can have my kids crank S.
congrats on the "deleting all reminders" thing. good luck with that. however, the efficacious quality of erasure is over rated. revenge is healthier and more fulfilling. choose ur form, they're all the same. the pettier the better.
Post a Comment
<< Home