Maybe I'm in the wrong profession?
So, yesterday I had a meeting with my "attorney"--this would be the first one, the acquaintance of mine who hasn't actually done anything besides shuffle correspondence between S.'s attorney and myself. I met with him to give him an affidavit I had to fill out listing all of my assets and liabilities. It was a very short affidavit.
During the meeting, he called in another attorney from his office to notarize my affidavit, and the other attorney and I started chatting about my case. I should point out that my attorney isn't actually a divorce attorney--he does child advocacy exclusively, which in all fairness is why he isn't very knowledgeable about divorce law. This other attorney, however, is a divorce attorney, and he seemed fairly sharp . . . maybe I should have hired him to start with? Oh well. Anyway, we were talking a little about my case, and at one point he said, "You're an attorney too, right?" A little taken aback, I said that no, I'm not. He stared at me for a second, and then said, "Oh. You sound like one."
Should I have been flattered, or insulted? I wasn't sure.
Then my attorney helpfully piped up, "Yeah, she's been totally schooling me all through this thing!" Um, thanks, my attorney!
Anyway, we sent my affidavit to S.'s attorney, and he's going to file the dissolution paperwork, I guess. Then we set a date to sign the papers. Apparently, we are going to get a private judge, one who doesn't work out of the courthouse but travels around to various venues, and we will be signing the papers in my attorney's office. This, of course, would involve S. and I actually being in the same room, so I'm hoping he doesn't freak out and do something weird to thwart the whole thing--something that would be in keeping with his character of late.
But apparently, if he does, I'll be able to act pro se and handle it just fine.
Regarding the tax thing, by the way--my attorney called S.'s attorney while I was there, and apparently, S. has not filed yet. I'm not surprised--he's always been rather lazy and definitely puts off facing unpleasant things (or refuses to face them at all or even acknowledge them, hence the disintegration of our marriage). After a brief conversation, all during which I was fervently wishing I was doing the talking, it was decided that S.'s attorney would encourage S. to actually call me and figure out what we should do about the taxes. All of which says to me that even S.'s own attorney believes S. is acting irrationally in refusing to talk to me and instead paying his attorney for every exchange of information in this very stupid, simple case.
So, maybe I'll be getting a phone call soon. Stay tuned.
During the meeting, he called in another attorney from his office to notarize my affidavit, and the other attorney and I started chatting about my case. I should point out that my attorney isn't actually a divorce attorney--he does child advocacy exclusively, which in all fairness is why he isn't very knowledgeable about divorce law. This other attorney, however, is a divorce attorney, and he seemed fairly sharp . . . maybe I should have hired him to start with? Oh well. Anyway, we were talking a little about my case, and at one point he said, "You're an attorney too, right?" A little taken aback, I said that no, I'm not. He stared at me for a second, and then said, "Oh. You sound like one."
Should I have been flattered, or insulted? I wasn't sure.
Then my attorney helpfully piped up, "Yeah, she's been totally schooling me all through this thing!" Um, thanks, my attorney!
Anyway, we sent my affidavit to S.'s attorney, and he's going to file the dissolution paperwork, I guess. Then we set a date to sign the papers. Apparently, we are going to get a private judge, one who doesn't work out of the courthouse but travels around to various venues, and we will be signing the papers in my attorney's office. This, of course, would involve S. and I actually being in the same room, so I'm hoping he doesn't freak out and do something weird to thwart the whole thing--something that would be in keeping with his character of late.
But apparently, if he does, I'll be able to act pro se and handle it just fine.
Regarding the tax thing, by the way--my attorney called S.'s attorney while I was there, and apparently, S. has not filed yet. I'm not surprised--he's always been rather lazy and definitely puts off facing unpleasant things (or refuses to face them at all or even acknowledge them, hence the disintegration of our marriage). After a brief conversation, all during which I was fervently wishing I was doing the talking, it was decided that S.'s attorney would encourage S. to actually call me and figure out what we should do about the taxes. All of which says to me that even S.'s own attorney believes S. is acting irrationally in refusing to talk to me and instead paying his attorney for every exchange of information in this very stupid, simple case.
So, maybe I'll be getting a phone call soon. Stay tuned.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home