Monday, April 10, 2006

Guess Who Didn't Call?

At least, I don't think he did, but I left work at 2:00 for a doctor's appointment, so I suppose he could have called after that.

I hope he didn't. He wasn't supposed to.

I did end up writing him an e-mail yesterday, in which I told him I would rather he not call me at work and call me on my cell instead, sometime tonight. I also told him that Wednesday and Thursday are really the only nights that work for me this week for doing taxes, and since he plays softball on Wednesdays, it would have to be Thursday. I didn't say so, but if Thursday doesn't work for him, too bad. He's the one who put everything off until the last minute. I did mention that we might not even be able to get an appointment with a tax preparer this week, since it's, like, their busiest week of the entire year. (Did that just not occur to him at all, I wonder?)

So anyway, now I am waiting, but not worrying. If he doesn't call soon, I'll probably miss the call, since I'm going to a concert later . . . too bad for him. If he can't work it out within the next couple of days, too bad again--he'll have to file an extension, or file separately (and not itemize, I guess?). Not my problem. I did everything I could, a long time ago.

It's a good sign that while his call threw me for a loop, it didn't traumatize me, nor am I dwelling on it or obsessing over it. When I think about it now, I just get annoyed.

About his wanting to "talk" now . . . not sure what I'm going to do. What I'm not going to do, though, is sit and listen to the same bullshit again. I suppose there are some things I'd like to say to him, but I don't have much faith that it will do any good. He's not the best listener in the world. His usual responses to anything I say are:

1. the exaggerated eye roll;
2. the deep sigh of martyrdom;
3. the blank wall of silence; or, my personal favorite:
4. the continuation of what he was saying before without any acknowledgement of what I just said.

Keep in mind, this is a man who actually said the following things to me over the past year (often numerous times):

"I think marriage should take little to no work."

"You look for problems that aren't there."

"I feel like I've wasted the last six years of my life."

"Our lives will have no meaning if we don't have kids."

"Shut up."

That last one, he only said to me once. I told him that if he ever said that to me again, he'd better really mean it, because I would never speak to him again. Looks like we're getting there anyway.

I feel, at this point, that I can achieve closure on my own. I don't need his sanction of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

To speak like a therapist--

it's good that you are taking control of the situation and not letting him dictate to you (as if you would let anyone do that!),

but I am sorry that anyone spoke such hateful, senseless things to you.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home