Where We Are Now
For those of you who have had to deal with troublesome attorneys in the past (hi, Jenn!), you can imagine what the experience is like when you're not paying the person. I know, I shouldn't complain, you get what you pay for, right? Although I am supposed to take my attorney out for an expensive dinner when all of this is over and I get my "settlement" from S. (And, the way things stand, the settlement is such that an expensive dinner will take a not-unsubstantial chunk out of the total).
So I got a call from my attorney yesterday, and it turns out that the papers he sent me to sign a couple of weeks ago were copies, not the originals I actually need to sign. He fucked up. So now, I have to go to his office tomorrow morning and sign the originals.
In the meantime, I got a letter from S.'s attorney last week, faxed to me at work, warning that if I didn't move on the papers soon, S.'s offer would be rescinded. Now, this was annoying on several levels. First, that I was being accused of acting slowly after I'd turned the paperwork around in two days. (I suspect--no, I know--that it was the delayed action on the part of my attorney, not me, that prompted the letter.) Even more annoying was the fact that apparently S. and/or his attorney seem to believe that the paltry amount they're offering me is a big enough sum to be considered leverage in the first place. "Look out, we're threatening to withhold this paltry sum from you! Aren't you quaking in fear?" Um, no.
So, I decided to get to the heart of the matter, and I e-mailed S. directly, telling him about the letter and when I'd sent the papers and what happened, etc. etc. (Actually, S. and I have had more communication over the last week than we've had over the last four months. He responds to my e-mails now, and he even called me last Friday, when I was en route to Wisconsin. He's been acting almost like a normal human being, although he does keep suggesting we get together to talk and then backing out of it whenever I agree. I finally told him we should just wait until the whole dissolution is final before we talk, because he obviously still doesn't know his own head, and I'm not going to be jerked around like that. Anyway.)
S. claims that he didn't know his attorney sent that letter, and I believe him. So, there is a complete and utter lack of drama right now, despite S.'s attorney's best efforts. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Sincere apologies to two of my best friends, but I'm really starting to hate attorneys.
So I got a call from my attorney yesterday, and it turns out that the papers he sent me to sign a couple of weeks ago were copies, not the originals I actually need to sign. He fucked up. So now, I have to go to his office tomorrow morning and sign the originals.
In the meantime, I got a letter from S.'s attorney last week, faxed to me at work, warning that if I didn't move on the papers soon, S.'s offer would be rescinded. Now, this was annoying on several levels. First, that I was being accused of acting slowly after I'd turned the paperwork around in two days. (I suspect--no, I know--that it was the delayed action on the part of my attorney, not me, that prompted the letter.) Even more annoying was the fact that apparently S. and/or his attorney seem to believe that the paltry amount they're offering me is a big enough sum to be considered leverage in the first place. "Look out, we're threatening to withhold this paltry sum from you! Aren't you quaking in fear?" Um, no.
So, I decided to get to the heart of the matter, and I e-mailed S. directly, telling him about the letter and when I'd sent the papers and what happened, etc. etc. (Actually, S. and I have had more communication over the last week than we've had over the last four months. He responds to my e-mails now, and he even called me last Friday, when I was en route to Wisconsin. He's been acting almost like a normal human being, although he does keep suggesting we get together to talk and then backing out of it whenever I agree. I finally told him we should just wait until the whole dissolution is final before we talk, because he obviously still doesn't know his own head, and I'm not going to be jerked around like that. Anyway.)
S. claims that he didn't know his attorney sent that letter, and I believe him. So, there is a complete and utter lack of drama right now, despite S.'s attorney's best efforts. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Sincere apologies to two of my best friends, but I'm really starting to hate attorneys.


2 Comments:
Why did you think that you would be spared the experience of dealing with a troublesome attorney during this ordeal? There is a required course in law school on how to piss off either party and feel no remorse. Some budding attorneys are able to proficiency the requirement. As to the meal for services rendered, use a coupon.
I love attorneys.:-| I can't imagine my life without them. Ugh. Such a pain!
Post a Comment
<< Home